IMBOLC: The Feast of the Flame

A Scottish Gaelic proverb about Imbolc:

Thig an nathair as an toll
La donn Bride,
Ged robh tri traighean dh’ an t-sneachd
Air leachd an lair.

"The serpent will come from the hole
On the brown Day of Bride,
Though there should be three feet of snow
On the flat surface of the ground."


-Source Wikipedia.org/pic from the internet



Imbolc has been a celebrated Sabbat that I have observed since then. One of the four major Sabbat that composed the Wheel of the Year, Imbolc is celebrated traditionally February 2 halfway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. This celebration is a feast to the Goddess Briga or Brighid, the Goddess of the Flame and Crafts, however with the Christianization of Scotland and Ireland, the celebration evolved and the celebration is dedicated to St. Brighid.

Last February 2, I celebrated Imbolc in a very simple way. I started the celebration with a simple thank you to the Goddess. I lighted 3 different incences and lit an altar candle in honor to Fire. I offered a simple prayer and muttered some incantation to focus my will to the flame. I also lighted a yellow candle as the color of the Sabbat.

I want to make a bonfire, however during the day of Imbolc there was rain pouring outside and I was not able to make one. Another thing is I cannot make a really big bonfire since I am living in a thickly populated area. I am afraid that the celebrated will attract the attention of people around our place.

The celebration of Imbolc coincided also with the Feast of the Catholic image of the Goddess. Celebrated during February 2, Jaro District observes the feast of Nuestra Señora de la Candelaria- or the Feast of the Our Lady of Candles, one of the many "aspects" of Mary, Mother of God.

This Sacred day is also dedicated to the element of Fire as all the celebration is one of the majot Fire festivals that is celebrated by the Pagan Community...

Comments

Popular Posts