Here WIGO - a 2021 Toyota Review

 Stryx, my 2021 Toyota Wigo G is my first car. I have waited almost 40 years before I decided to get one, since I do not see the use of getting a car before. When the COVID-19 Pandemic hit and I have discovered how difficult it is (not to mention, scary) to go from one place to another, made me look at getting a convenient car for daily use (if there is no ECQ, that is). 

I was looking around for the best hatchback, budget cars that I can afford and are small enough to fit the garage of the apartment I am renting. I was down to four (4) options: 

1. Suzuki S-presso - an entry level hatchback from Suzuki with really good ground clearance and affordable monthly payment (Php 11K at that time). The only thing I didn't like about this car is it's only on Manual Transmission. When the banks I applied to saw that this is the car I wanted, they declined my application saying that they can only process loans which are above Php 700K, with the S-Presso, the loanable amount is just more than Php500K. So this option was scrapped. 

2. Suzuki Celerio - The next affordable car from the Suzuki line up. A hatchback which is also around 700K pesos. But again, the bank declined my application since the loanable amount will be lower than Php 700K. I need to look at other cars, or other banks. 

3. Toyota Wigo - The Toyota Wigo was one of the options I was looking at. The Wigo was something that I didn't really consider before because I was not a fan of the rounded design. However, when I checked the latest (2020 model) Wigo, I was amazed by the facelift. It became kinda bigger and boxy, which was very attractive to me. 

4. Mitsubishi Mirage - my last option was the Mirage, which was the last car I checked out. I have been comparing both the Wigo and the Mirage, and the former always beat it with Toyota's amazing features. 

I started applying for an auto-loan, where I was assisted by some dealers from Suzuki and Toyota (Mitsubishi came last), and around this time, I was 100% decided that I am going to get a car. In my quest for driving, I started with getting a driver's license. I enrolled and attended the TDC (Theoretical Driving Course), a 2-day (16 Hours) class in driving. After I was done with it, I applied for a Student's Permit. This was around May 2021. I got a message that my loan application was approved and by May 31st, I got my new 2021 Toyota Wigo G (Black), even without a license yet. 

The Wigo, which I called Stryx arrived June 6th in Davao City. Of course, I still cannot drive it since the OR/CR has not yet been released, and I still need to get the Non-Prof license, a month after I got the SP. After I got my Non-Prof license and I started driving Stryx, I discovered the beauty of driving and the freedom of having a car brings. 

The Toyota Wigo G/AT is a very good "1st car". It's maneuverability is amazing and the safety features are top-notch for an affordable car. It sports a 3-cylinder 998CC engine with 89nm of torque.  Though it is small to look at, it can surprisingly accommodate 5 passengers. It's equipped with a 7-inch infotainment system, keyless entry and push-button start system, a rear sensor and camera, automatic folding and auto-adjustable side mirrors, power windows and auto-lock. It also has 2 airbags, 14-inch alloy mags and many, many more. Truly, Stryx is a very reliable first car to professionals. 

In driving Stryx for almost a year (this June), I have brought him to a lot of places in Mindanao and even though that it is designed for short city drives, Stryx was able to take us to as far as Agusan del Sur (Enchanted River), to Cagayan de Oro and Iligan, to Glan in Sarangani. He has been a comfortable road partner which always takes me to adventures, whether its up on the mountains, watching the sea of clouds or in Kapatagan, looking at the majestic Mt. Apo. For me, one of the secrets of Wigo is it's fuel consumption which is really amazing. You can travel for more than 200KM and still wont  empty your fuel tank (from full tank). 

If you're looking for an affordable (small) family car, I think Wigo is one of the best entry-level cars out there. Though I would be parting with Stryx in a few days, I will leave him in the capable hands of my family in Iloilo. Stryx will be the family's first car and I think he will be able to fulfill the family's needs for safe and convenient transportation. 





Comments

Popular Posts