From Cael to Kael - the importance of words and names.

I have been using a lot of nicknames since I was young. I am called Toto to my siblings, Mike to friends and Pinto in highschool (since we have 3 Michaels in our section, so we were called by our last names. I also used the nickname "Yohann" when I am among online friends, at the peak of Yahoo Messenger and mIRC chatrooms. There was a time when I was in Cebu that I used the name "Chance" as my BPO personna, since Michael is very generic and people would always have a lot of questions about you sounding feminine but you have a man's name, hence, a unisex name was the best choice that time. 

When I worked in Davao City last 2009, I changed the spelling of my nickname to "Myke"  because of my attachment to the Rune Algiz, which looks like a capital Y. My nickname had another change around 2015 (if I still remember it correctly), when I transfered to a different company and used the name "Cael" which is a shortened version of the name my grandmother used to call me - Mikael.

This year, I felt the need to change the letters in my nickname again. As a practitioner of the occult and as a person aware with the power of symbols and names, I felt it is the time to do it. 

Words always have power. This has been established in mythology and history. In the Christian religions, we all know that in the Bible, the Word of God became Christ (John 1:14)  - "And the Word was made Flesh and dwelt amongst us". In ancient Egypt, when they want to curse someone, be it a commoner or the Pharaoh, they would strike down their names in all the obelisks and tablets and they will be forgotten. In fiction, we have seen the power of words, symbols and names used as a very powerful tool in the stories. One example of this is the Earthsea books by Ursula K Le Guin, where the Wizards of Earthsea controls and manipulates everything by the power of their names. In Eragon, to know the name of an object (and speak it using the Ancient Language), gives you power over it. That is why, names (at least in these fictional universes) are a heavily guarded secret, shared only to people you trust.

The significance of names and words are given weight in the occult. In the local practice of Kabbalah in the Philippines, LNK practitioners can use the names of people and entities to control them. We can also see this in the practice of Ceremonial magick, especially in the practice of summoning which has a very strong emphasis on knowing the names of the entities that you work with. In these grimoire practices, (Goetia, Legemetton) or even in Enochian magick, knowing the True name of the entity gives you power over it. This is the main method to call beings from the other realm into this reality - by calling their names over their symbols (seals/sigils) and bind them with a more powerful name (i.e. the names of God - AGLA, TETRAGRAMATTON, etc.). 

This is mainly the reason why in most magical practices and traditions, a naming rite happens upon initiation. This is where (in Wicca for example) a witch dedicant is introduced to the Watchtowers under different name, a Craft Name, separate from their mundane given name. That is also why some practitioners are hiding in different names (hence, a different persona), as to not be bound or controlled by others using these names. 

Another example of the power of names can be found in the story of Isis and how she ascended to be one of the most powerful Goddesses in the Egyptian mythos. It was said that Isis used snakes to bite Ra while he was walking in a path, and since he cannot die, he was in agony. Isis then offered help in exchange of the secret name of Ra. Isis became the one of the most powerful magicians in the pantheon.

The power of names and words can also be seen displayed in ancient Greek and Roman mythology. Gods and Goddesses normally have epithets (names/titles) corresponding to specific aspect of a deity. Hekate is a very good example of this, as she is known to have a lot of names, tied to different aspects - when her worshipers call to her for protection, they might invoke her under the name of Hekate Alexeatis (Averter of Evil), Hekate Episkopos (the Guardian) or Hekate Epiteichea (the Stronghold). This is also true with other pantheons - Egyptian, Norse and even in Catholicism.  Isis is known as the Lady of Ten Thousand Names, while Odin is, as he mentioned in the Neil Gaiman's book - American Gods - 

Neil Gaiman


“I told you I would tell you my names. This is what they call me. I'm called Glad-of-War, Grim, Raider, and Third. I am One-Eyed. I am called Highest, and True-Guesser. I am Grimnir, and I am the Hooded One. I am All-Father, and I am Gondlir Wand-Bearer. I have as many names as there are winds, as many titles as there are ways to die. (from the internet)

Mary, in the Catholic religion also has a lot of titles and epithets. Her known titles - Semper Virgo, Stella Maris, Purissima, Mater Dolorosa, Regina Caelis, Dei Genetrix, Mater Dei, etc. also shows that she is viewed similarly as a Goddess with many aspects. 
Going back to my decision to change the first letter of my name, from a C to a K, these letters are viewed similarly in most scripts (Futhark, for example and even in our Alpabeto here in the Philippines - A, B, K, D...), however, as I am very particular in symbols, I choose the letter K because it is a combination of two runes for me... Kenaz and Isa. 

In my current situation, I can say that I am now embodying the attributes of both these runes. Kenaz, the Torch for me is the bright flame of knowledge that I am willing to share to the next generation, to those who are willing to walk the Path I am walking. Isa on the other hand represents Ice, the stillness of winter, of self control and focus. Putting them both embodies control and moderation, being innovative and curious, but also cautious and relaxed. This would constantly remind me that giving in to these extremes are dangerous and the best way to go is in the middle, where everything is "just right".

- photos from the internet - goodreads.com/www.runesecrets.com





Comments

Popular Posts